Hearts and Minds(Behavioral Safety)
Behavior HSE is a very important element of any Work place. This is because we need people to perform certain tasks, and we want those tasks accomplished in a way that is consistent with relevant legislations and our values (in a way that shows respect for fellow employees, assets, the environment, company reputation, etc). Behavior-based HSE is all about increasing safe performance, and decreasing the kinds of unsafe behaviors that lead to injury in the workplace
The behavior HSE programme achieves a safe working environment through human change. The main aim is to bring the HSE management System (HSE–MS) to life by marrying HSE risk management to people and their actions. The change process involves various steps from pre-contemplative to contemplative to preparation, action and maintenance of achieved improvements. The process diagram below shows how these steps are related.
Given that about 96 percent of all workplace accidents are triggered by unsafe behavior, reducing accidents and improving safety performance can be achieved by systematically focusing upon those unsafe behaviors in the workplace.
Since the early 1990’s behavioral safety has fast become an established weapon in the war on workplace accidents, as its use has helped many companies to dramatically slice through their accident plateau. Although behavioral safety programs are no magic wands, it is possible to experience 40-75 percent fall in accident rates within six to twelve months as a direct consequence of implementing the techniques associated with behavioral safety.
Benefits from a well-planned and implemented behavioral safety program would include:
Reduction of accidents or incidents, near misses and property damage:
- Improved levels of quantified safe behaviors:
- Reduction in costs due to accidents.
- Continuous improvement in HSE performance due to Sustenance/Maintenance of safe behaviors:
- HSE becomes everybody’s business through obtaining buy-in/ acceptance of the system by company personnel.
- Implementation of behavior safety necessitates effectiveness of
Follow-up procedures for improvement suggestions and completion of
- Generalisability: This program can be applied efficiently to address other health & safety challenges (e.g. unsafe conditions, management system faults and technological defects).
- Will bolster company reputation through: Change in stakeholder perception, compliance with regulations, maintenance of License to Operate (LTO), etc.
- Increased reporting of defects, near misses, accidents, etc: The increased reporting of defects or unsafe conditions is an inevitable outcome of a good behavioral safety system.
- Implementation of behavior safety will enhance acquisition of skills in positive reinforcement through building peer pressure, and consequence management.
Why the behavior Safety program will work.
- It involves significant workforce participation; behavioral safety deliberately adopts a ‘bottom-up’ approach so that those most likely to be hurt are actively engaged in eliminating the occurrences of unsafe behaviors. Without such widespread workforce involvement, the ownership of, and commitment to, the process will be lacking and the initiative will probably fail.
- It targets specific unsafe behaviors; focus is on that small proportion of unsafe behaviors that are responsible for the lion’s share of a company’s accidents/ incidents. This soon eliminates the accidents historically associated with them.
- It is based on observational data collection; uses the principle of ‘what gets measured gets done’.
- It emphasis and focuses on data-driven decision-making.
- It involves a systematic, observational, improvement intervention; Creation of an overall improvement intervention by a scheduled plan of events makes it more difficult for the program to fail than succeed.
- It involves regular focused feedback about on-going performance; Feedback is the key ingredient of any type of improvement initiative.
- It requires visible on-going support from managers and front-line supervision: Management’s visible and demonstrable commitment to the process demonstrated by Provision of the necessary resources and assistance for remedial actions to take place, assurance of consequence management always ensures the success of this program.
Target Group: Company CEOs, Company MDs, Managers, Supervisors, Cole face staff, all workers in the organization, Project Engineers/Project managers, Company Accountants, Personnel managers, etc, etc.
The following Hearts & Minds Tools will be used in the course.
1 HSE culture
- Assessing HSE culture
- HSE culture Gap
- Planning for HSE culture change
- Commitment to change
2 Managing Rule - Breaking
- Human Errors & Violations
- Violations invalidate procedures & HSE-MS
- Why do people not follow rules (The concept of sheep & wolves)
- The Lethal cocktail
- Types of violations
3. Improving HSE Supervision
- Who is a supervisor?
- HSE management & supervision
- Why are supervisors important
- Supervisors & incident prevention
- Characteristics of a good supervisor
- Why focus on supervision
- Improving supervision-How?
- Supervision styles
- Aspects of supervision
4. HSE Risk Management (Risk assessment matrix RAM)
What is Risk
- Assessing the Risk of a scenario
- Active management of Risks through controls
- Demonstration of ALARP
- Role of safe working practices in accident prevention
- Unsafe working practices as primary cause of incidents
- Working safely model: Sense, Know, Plan, Act &Maintain
- Understanding Hazards (Step1-4)
- Giving feedback
- Working Safely: Your way forward.
STRATEGY: Lectures, questionnaires, films, debate sessions and exercises.
- The consultant will issue certificates and produce a report on the training.
- Consultant will provide workshop bags, files and souvenirs
- The training will produce an informed and motivated workforce.
- Provide on-going advice in the implementation of the program.
DURATION: 3 Days Send Enquiry